Skip to main content

Instagram Inspiration

It's actually never happened to me before.  There I was planted on the couch watching tv and as the regularly scheduled program goes to commercial I pick up my iPhone and check my Instagram account.  I'm scrolling through my feed and I see a lovely photo of clouds posted by a friend.  Big billowy clouds that are crossing paths and behind them the sun trying to break through.  Some might call it a moodygram?!  I'm automatically inspired and start thinking words about clouds breaking and I did something I've never done, I hit "comment" and type out with my forefinger on the small iPhone keyboard a little stream of consciousness poem to my friend.  I push "enter" and my comment snaps open in the comments section!  I immediately think to myself "gosh I hope she doesn't think I'm a total nut?!".  My friend responds pretty quickly that she thinks it's beautiful and comments on how hope is a powerful thing.  I'm glad she likes it but part of me was still worried that I crossed some weird comment etiquette boundary?!  Anywho, here it is and next time I think I might just keep my poem to myself!

Beckoning clouds scatter across the sky
as I await the rays of the sun
to filter through and make their way to my soul
with the hope 
that they fill me with enough light
to make it through another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harboring regret

Off The Hook, a short poem

Off The Hook by Beth Achenbach She smells of perfume and smoke,  her dangling hook has caught so many people that adore her. Today she is letting them loose  as she drives towards the blue and clouds. The rusty vision of that car,  her graying hair waving in the wind. The woman is escaping from this old city.  A place called home,  but now littered with waste and nature overgrown. Wildness spills out of it’s cracks  as clunky trucks carry their loads,  dead parts of the city  dumping at an unknown location  beyond the concrete barriers. Brick walls once brilliant with their reddish facades  now crumble to the touch. Windows boarded up  with warped plywood from the frequent rains  haven’t seen the light in years. The woman crosses over the city limits  trying not to be overcome with the heaviness  that she will never return. She deeply inhales the new air,  turns up the old car’s radio  and tosses h...

Treading the Election and Life

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 I sat on the couch Election Night feeling more anxiety than I had ever known.  I didn’t want to believe what was happening but there it was right before my eyes, the electoral map, on my local NBC channel looking like someone wrapped it in red Christmas paper.  I tried to stay hopeful and kept repeating in my head "Hillary, Hillary, Hillary".  I managed a quick nap around midnight, holding out hope that Lovey would wake me up and say “She did it, Hillary is President!” but it never happened.  I woke up about 15 minutes later and it ended up that I was the one nudging her awake around 1am/1:30 saying “let’s go to bed, it’s not looking good” just after they called Florida to the other side.  So we frumped our way upstairs to bed where I lay wide awake for a long time with my mind all a whir. The next day I was feeling very disappointed so I limited my social media browsing and did not watch the news except to see Hillary’s speech, which ...