Skip to main content

For My Sake The World Was Created

It's been overwhelming for me this past year dealing with chronic pain, turning 50, my favorite Uncle passing away, friends diagnosed with cancer, not seeing my family much, money problems and well....the crazy state of our country and world!!! LIfe my friends!  I mean, yes, I  know, in the scheme of world problems mine are not so awful.  It doesn't take away the fact that it's been a struggle for me.  So
I made a pretty big decision to start learning more so I can practice Judaism. I've pretty much been a secular Jew my whole life.  We would go to my Grandparent's house when I was young to celebrate the Jewish Holidays but other than that I did not grow up knowing a lot about Judaism or having any kind of traditions instilled in me.  As a young adult I bought a Menorah and would light Hanukkah candles and that was it!  I think it was a way to feel connected to my grandparents who had both since passed away.  The thought has always been in the recess of my mind that I should learn more about it because, hey, it's where I come from! The thing is I just couldn't step into the religious aspect of it.  God being, well God, and the whole bible situation kept me away. I've always been very curious about religion but from an outside looking in perspective, not as a follower.  Well, my friends, life has been a little much for me, as I said, in my 49-50th year and I've finally decided it's time for me to embrace Judaism with the hope that I'll get myself back in tune with the role I play on this planet. This is a long tale to get to a short story that actually relates to the photo but we are almost done!  I was telling my friend Joanne McCarthy about my thoughts recently and how last year I started doing a little bit of research into Judaism and came across a post, as one does, when Googleing on the web! The post relayed a story about a Rabbi Simcha Bunem that told his disciples to write on two pieces of paper the sayings "V’anokhi afar v’efer" (I am but dust and ashes) and " Bishvili nivra ha-olam" (For my sake the world was created).  Reminders of humility and hope that spoke to me. I wrote the sayings out in both the transliterated hebrew and english translation on small pieces of paper and placed one in my right coat pocket and the other in the left. I would pull them out here and there but sometimes I didn't even need to because the story itself would pop into my mind when I needed a moment of clarity.  In retrospect I do believe that action of writing those words and keeping them was the beginning of my process that led to the decision this month to practice Judaism! It's significant and I was telling Joanne, who makes silver jewelry under the name Silver Sculptor, that it would be cool to have the sayings as coins since the papers were getting tattered.   She offered to create them as a gift and gave them to me to carry in my pockets for my first fast and observance of Yom Kippur at our local synagogue.  Such a heartfelt gesture and I love her and the coins so much! Now I will forever regard them as a reminder of starting down this new path in my life.  Small acts of kindness, friendship and faith will help us get through these days my friends. I hope you find or show some today! Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harboring regret

Treading the Election and Life

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 I sat on the couch Election Night feeling more anxiety than I had ever known.  I didn’t want to believe what was happening but there it was right before my eyes, the electoral map, on my local NBC channel looking like someone wrapped it in red Christmas paper.  I tried to stay hopeful and kept repeating in my head "Hillary, Hillary, Hillary".  I managed a quick nap around midnight, holding out hope that Lovey would wake me up and say “She did it, Hillary is President!” but it never happened.  I woke up about 15 minutes later and it ended up that I was the one nudging her awake around 1am/1:30 saying “let’s go to bed, it’s not looking good” just after they called Florida to the other side.  So we frumped our way upstairs to bed where I lay wide awake for a long time with my mind all a whir. The next day I was feeling very disappointed so I limited my social media browsing and did not watch the news except to see Hillary’s speech, which made me cry.  

"Lifted" the video and poem dedicated to Sisterhood

I wrote this poem after spending an hour with a few of my female artistic friends.  We discussed poetry, art, life, and when I got home I felt this overwhelming feeling of inspiration and joy!  Yes!  Joy!  It's like we all shared our energy while we were together.  I just had to write my feelings down.  The words came out of me so easily thinking of my own Sisters and the friends I consider to be Sisters from other Misters.  I wrote the poem in one sitting and a few weeks later I got the idea to record my voice reading it and create a video using photos.  I put a call out on my facebook feed and asked female friends to send me photos of themselves with their Sisters or with their BFFs that they considered Sisters or with women they were inspired by.  The ladies sent me some great images and I used a bunch of my own for fill ins to create this video.  This is definitely one of those labor of love or labor of inspiration times.  Please watch and share!  Words are posted below.