Skip to main content

The Making of Lists

 This poem is dated September 3, 2015 in my journal and is about the making of lists.  I know, I know, it doesn't seem that exciting of a subject, does it?  It's one of those things in my life that is helpful but sometimes I wonder if it is just a waste of time?  Writing a list is easy enough but the hard part, for me, at least, is remembering I wrote the dang list or finding the list after I put it aside!  Thank goodness for the "notes" app on the iphone because I can make lists there when there is no paper!  I still tend towards the hand written lists and even though I've gotten better at putting them in places where they are easily found, some still fall into that void of doom where the single missing socks and earring backs disappear to...never to be seen again!

Lists

I make lists
to try and remember 
where my mind has been,
lists to remember
where my mind is suppose to go,
and lists to remember
that I wrote a list!
I list 
in whatever order comes to mind.
I write my lists
on napkins,
paper bags,
on junk mail, ripped paper,
and sometimes
on a toilet paper square!
I make lists 
like a forty something year old woman
with one foot into her post menopausal fifties!
I make lists
like an entrepreneur
trying to create the next big business,
and sometimes like a mastermind
plotting world domination!
My list making skills
are only nominal
but that doesn't stop me
from making more lists!
Pencil to paper,
pen to napkin,
or Sharpie to paper bag,
I will write the list
with whatever is at hand!
Sometimes bullet points,
sometimes numbers,
or at times just a dash!
Short list,
long list, craft list,
food list,
forget it's there tomorrow 
kind of list!

It doesn't stop me from
continuously making lists!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harboring regret

Treading the Election and Life

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 I sat on the couch Election Night feeling more anxiety than I had ever known.  I didn’t want to believe what was happening but there it was right before my eyes, the electoral map, on my local NBC channel looking like someone wrapped it in red Christmas paper.  I tried to stay hopeful and kept repeating in my head "Hillary, Hillary, Hillary".  I managed a quick nap around midnight, holding out hope that Lovey would wake me up and say “She did it, Hillary is President!” but it never happened.  I woke up about 15 minutes later and it ended up that I was the one nudging her awake around 1am/1:30 saying “let’s go to bed, it’s not looking good” just after they called Florida to the other side.  So we frumped our way upstairs to bed where I lay wide awake for a long time with my mind all a whir. The next day I was feeling very disappointed so I limited my social media browsing and did not watch the news except to see Hillary’s speech, which made me cry.  

"Lifted" the video and poem dedicated to Sisterhood

I wrote this poem after spending an hour with a few of my female artistic friends.  We discussed poetry, art, life, and when I got home I felt this overwhelming feeling of inspiration and joy!  Yes!  Joy!  It's like we all shared our energy while we were together.  I just had to write my feelings down.  The words came out of me so easily thinking of my own Sisters and the friends I consider to be Sisters from other Misters.  I wrote the poem in one sitting and a few weeks later I got the idea to record my voice reading it and create a video using photos.  I put a call out on my facebook feed and asked female friends to send me photos of themselves with their Sisters or with their BFFs that they considered Sisters or with women they were inspired by.  The ladies sent me some great images and I used a bunch of my own for fill ins to create this video.  This is definitely one of those labor of love or labor of inspiration times.  Please watch and share!  Words are posted below.