Skip to main content

Your Place In Our Hearts - a poem dedicated to Donna Georgio



A poem dedicated to our friend Donna Georgio who we lost way too soon on April 5, 2018.  My condolences to her family and friends near and far.  She was a rock star in my book and she will be missed terribly.  If anyone wants you can make a donation to the American Brain Tumor Association in her memory.




Donna(middle) photo by Adrian Shepard


Your Place In Our Hearts

The air seems different
now that you are gone.
The current whispers your name
and spreads the news of your soul’s departure.
Time seems to click by slower,
a slow motion drama
that we are all unwilling participants in.
Words don’t come as easily
to speak of our loss
but feelings of having known you
stumble out easily bringing tears
and a sense that things will never be the same.
That is the way it is when a light goes out.
We must stand still in the dark
and wait for our eyes to adjust,
for our hearts to reconcile,
to comprehend reasoning
that you are no longer here with us.
Until we realize the truth
that we are the caretakers
of the force that you were!
We are beholden
to mark your place in our hearts
and spread the brilliance you shared,
the ripples you created
out, out…and further out
until they find you in the ether
and let you know that even though you aren’t here
we remember everything you taught us.
You live on in the stories we tell,
the moments we share,
and the love we bestow unto one another.
Find your peace friend
and rest easy knowing you touched us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harboring regret

Off The Hook, a short poem

Off The Hook by Beth Achenbach She smells of perfume and smoke,  her dangling hook has caught so many people that adore her. Today she is letting them loose  as she drives towards the blue and clouds. The rusty vision of that car,  her graying hair waving in the wind. The woman is escaping from this old city.  A place called home,  but now littered with waste and nature overgrown. Wildness spills out of it’s cracks  as clunky trucks carry their loads,  dead parts of the city  dumping at an unknown location  beyond the concrete barriers. Brick walls once brilliant with their reddish facades  now crumble to the touch. Windows boarded up  with warped plywood from the frequent rains  haven’t seen the light in years. The woman crosses over the city limits  trying not to be overcome with the heaviness  that she will never return. She deeply inhales the new air,  turns up the old car’s radio  and tosses h...

Treading the Election and Life

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 I sat on the couch Election Night feeling more anxiety than I had ever known.  I didn’t want to believe what was happening but there it was right before my eyes, the electoral map, on my local NBC channel looking like someone wrapped it in red Christmas paper.  I tried to stay hopeful and kept repeating in my head "Hillary, Hillary, Hillary".  I managed a quick nap around midnight, holding out hope that Lovey would wake me up and say “She did it, Hillary is President!” but it never happened.  I woke up about 15 minutes later and it ended up that I was the one nudging her awake around 1am/1:30 saying “let’s go to bed, it’s not looking good” just after they called Florida to the other side.  So we frumped our way upstairs to bed where I lay wide awake for a long time with my mind all a whir. The next day I was feeling very disappointed so I limited my social media browsing and did not watch the news except to see Hillary’s speech, which ...